CanERA Updates & Activities
Last update May 2019
As CanERA implementation and testing progresses, we will ensure our stakeholders remain informed.
- (Ongoing) July 2018-Spring/Summer 2019: CanAMS will be provided to all residency programs and institutions across Canada including training, tools and support to assist with the transition to CanERA and use of CanAMS.
- October 2019: The Royal College hosts the International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE). Elements of the program will focus on CanERA. Specific details are available in the online ICRE program
- October 30-November 2, 2019: The College of Family Physicians of Canada hosts Family Medicine Forum. Elements of the program will focus on CanERA. Specific details will be available in the online program.
- July 1, 2018: Version 1.2 of the new CanERA General Standards were updated (minor editorial changes from Version 1.0 used for prototype 3 testing)
- October 2017: Version 1.0 of CanAMS was shared with Dalhousie University, the first Prototype 3 University.
- February 2018: Version 1.0 of CanAMS was shared with McGill University, the second Prototype 3 University.
- July 2018: Deployment of CanAMS to institutions and their residency programs began, including training, tools and support to assist with the transition to CanERA and use of CanAMS; as noted above, deployment is ongoing.
- Prototype testing:
- March 2018: Prototype 2 testing concluded with the regular accreditation review of Queen’s University.
- November 2018: The onsite portion of the accreditation review for the first prototype 3 school (Dalhousie University) was conducted.
- March 2019: The onsite portion of the accreditation review for the second and final prototype 3 school (McGill University) was conducted.
- The transition to CanERA:
- Throughout 2018 and the beginning of 2019, a series of stakeholder-specific online training modules were developed (available under the training, tools, and support section of this website)
- Other methods of training were also deployed (e.g., webinars) to support those involved in the Prototype 3 accreditation process
- October 2018: CanRAC provided university-specific impact letters to each postgraduate office, which included an overview of CanERA, as well as information regarding the transition to CanERA.